New Technician, Operating from Abroad.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC1MYO, Apr 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KC1MYO

    KC1MYO Ham Member QRZ Page

    Hi! So excited to be here.

    I am currently abroad. Where I am located I do not have operating privliges. Am I allowed to use Echo Link via a internet connected computer to connect to a repeater in the USA? Also how do I know that the repeater I'm connecting to is broadcasting in a freqency that I have priveleges in. Allot of the repeaters on Echolink do not display their operating frequencies.

    I would also like to connect to repeters in the country that im temporarily located in aswell. I would be allowed to, as a Technicion class, if I were operating out of the United States, connecting through echolink. However, now that im actually located abroad, it does not seem to me that I would not be able to do that?

    Thanks for the help!
    - KC1MYO - Joshua Shore
  2. KR4YON

    KR4YON Ham Member QRZ Page

    echolink node "KK1JE-R" is a very active 2 meter repeater in the Savannah, GA area. hop on there and give a call
    i am sure you will get a reply. this is also my local repeater. we have a net every Tuesday at 19:00 EST and every
    Thursday at 20:00 EST. hop on there and throw out your callsign......DE KR4YON
  3. WG7X

    WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    Normally, the control operator of the repeater has control of what goes thru the repeater. It does not matter what class of license that you have as long as you are operating under the regulations for your license class. In addition, this only applies if you are using an RF link at your end. If you are totally VOIP at you end it makes no difference what your license class is. This was decided quite a long time ago when the questions came up about cross band repeaters. If I remember correctly, there were repeaters that would take an input on two meters or 70 centimeters and repeat the inputs on the FM portion of ten meters. As long as the Tech class operator was within their band allocation, it was OK that the output was not in their allocation.

    Operating via computer puts a whole new level of complication on this question. I'll go out on a limb here and venture that it will make no difference to anyone if you access the "system" via computer. It is incumbent on the operators of the repeaters or ILRP or echolink to ensure that they are operating within the parameters set by their local governments. If, on the other hand, you are accessing the echolink system using an RF link you need to ensure that you are operating within your privileges for the country that you are in. Unfortunately, being a US Technician class operator does not get you much in most other countries. Check the local regulations before you transmit!

    Good Luck, & 73...
  4. WB2WIK

    WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    I think this is the crux of it.

    OP didn't say where "abroad" he was, but in some countries our VHF-UHF U.S. amateur bands are public service bands and a violation can land an operator in trouble. I've found that can even apply to little FRS radios which are low power handhelds.

    That's a "free use" license-free band here, but in the Philippines (one example) the same band is used by the police.

    WG7X likes this.
  5. K0RGR

    K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    I think you're good if you are coming in via the Internet. If you are in North Korea or places where they think Americans are spies, I would forego the pleasure.
  6. VK6ZGO

    VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

    I have a feeling that the jurisdiction of the country you are currently residing in would frown severely upon the notion of using Echolink via the Internet to access a repeater in that same country, especially when you don't have Amateur privileges there.

    They would probably see it as a "backdoor" way of trying to circumvent their regulations.
  7. WG7X

    WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    Yeah. "Abroad" covers a lot of territory. So we're all just working in generalities. Any chance that the OP might just tell us where "Abroad" is? That might help a bit.Don't worry OP, we're only trying to help no one will use that against you.
  8. K0RGR

    K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    That's probably true, in some countries. As I recall VK has some of the strictest Echolink rules. We'd frown on someone from England with a Foundation license doing that here, though I honestly doubt that anyone would even question it. Other than stations from England, or VKs with a 4-character suffix, I wouldn't have a clue in identifying them.

    Many European countries do allow Generals to operate there. You might look to see if they give the U.S. exams there. Up until recently, U.S. exams were given overseas for people wanting both the U.S. license and the one for their country. I'm not sure what COVID-19 and new restrictions on immigration have done to that.
  9. KC1MYO

    KC1MYO Ham Member QRZ Page

    Hey guys thank you so much for the advice! I am currently studying in Israel. They do take radio very seriously here. We are in a crowded space with four other countries in arms reach at all times. Radio is only used by professionals or amateur radio folk. They don’t even allow toy radios into the country. I have used echo link to connect to people in the USA. I’m still a bit apprehensive about using it to talk to my friends in the north of Israel using the repeaters here. I could get my license converted, but I want to upgrade my FCC license to General or Extra before I do that. Once I have a local license, they may not allow me to upgrade with a foreign license. I would have to take the local exam in Hebrew, which I’m not very competent with yet.

    Thank you guys again for the warm welcome to the Ham radio world! Im excited to get started.
  10. K0RGR

    K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    I did a little research, and I see that we do have a reciprocal agreement with Israel. I went to the Israeli website, and I did not find any information on class of license vs. operating privileges there. Have you asked to see if your Technician license is recognized there? If so, you should be able to use the form to apply for a reciprocal permit, and just operate as 4x/KC1MYO.

Share This Page