How to aquire my "Silent Key" dad's old call

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0NHP, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W0NHP

    W0NHP Ham Member QRZ Page

    I see by this site, that my father's call is available. (W0NHP)
    Can someone here that knows, give me some guidance on how
    I can change over to his old call? I've had my call for about 30
    years if that matters.

    Thanks, and 73
    de: KA0YUA
  2. K1LKP

    K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    N3RF and KS2G like this.
  3. N0NC

    N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Here is a website for researching available vanity call signs.

    They also have a message board that maybe of some help.

    It looks like his call sign is available, and you probably have a good shot at it as a close relative. Apply for it sooner rather later as one of these months they are going to start changing $35 to apply for a vanity call (or a renewal for that matter).

    73, Chuck
    WZ7U and K4NWD like this.
  4. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

    It's also important to apply ASAP. If it is available, it can be requested by ANYONE, and if the call gets assigned before YOU request it (even as a relative) you will be out of luck.

    Hope your request gets granted.
  5. W0IS

    W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

    Since his license has been expired for more than two years, you don't need to do anything special, other than apply for it as a vanity call.

    Being a relative allows you to do so before the two year waiting period. But since it's been more than two years, that's not an issue.

    By the way, your dad's name and call look familiar. Was he active on the 10-10 net in the 1970s? If so, I probably worked him there.
    KP4SX likes this.
  6. N5AL

    N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    I did a look up of your call, KA0YUA, on the FCC ULS (Universal Licensing System) and your FRN (FCC Registration Number) is: 0016894693
    You will need this number and your password to enter the License Manager ( ) and make your request. As stated above, enough time has passed that your father's call is immediately available. So make the request now, as there's no need to calculate an exact filing date, like one has to do in the lottery battle for a 1x2 or 2x1 call. :)
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  7. KP4SX

    KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Just apply for the vanity call. No need to go thru any of the deceased relative stuff.
    WA9SVD likes this.
  8. WA2COP

    WA2COP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    I just went through this with my silent key dad.
    Since it’s availbe your process is easy - just apply for a vanity like others said.
    Do it quickly before someone takes it if it’s beyond 1 year. Do apply as a deceased relative as it gives you priority in the event it is within the 1 year following the call sign being cancelled. If it’s beyond the 1 year then anyone can apply for it so move fast. If the call sign is not cancelled you must first cancel it sending in a copy of the death certificate.
  9. KP4SX

    KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    The call is cancelled. 04/30/2020. I wouldn't expect any fight over that call as a vanity.
  10. W2AI

    W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

    First off, have you registered with the FCC for a ULS/CORES account? If so, at the present time, you can request a vanity callsign on that website for free until such time the $35 processing fee kicks in. Otherwise, the W5YI-VEC can process your request for a modest fee.

Share This Page

ad: Momobeam-1